Sunday, July 8, 2012

Welcome to South Dakota!

Today we crossed the state line into South Dakota. At the hotel lobby each night, America by Bicycle has a map of the US and highlights our route and flags where we have been. When I looked at the map tonight, I couldn't believe how far we have come. Several times today I just wanted to pinch myself to confirm that I am actually here doing this. How did the fat girl in high school end up doing such an incredible thing with such an elite goup of athletes? Amazing. I am so profoundly grateful for this opportunity and for al that I am learning.

So how did today go? Well, in typical Turtle fashion we were among the first to get our luggage on the truck and the last ones to leave the parking lot. As Dennis would say, at least we are consistent!

We had a bit of a tailwind to start the ride and the first thirty miles were also mostly downhill so we averaged an incredible 17 mph through that stretch. Lynne got another flat tire at about 45 miles (the back tire this time) and the boys had to boot the tire because it was gashed.

At 46.9 miles we made a right turn directly into the wind and the fun and games for the day were officially over. We eventually found our rythm again and made a good press against the wind into the next SAG at mile 67. We have discovered that it actually takes more work to ride too slow against the wind. If you can get everyone lined up tight and close together and go 14-16 mph, it takes less effort than grinding it out at 8-10 mph. The trick is that everyone has to concentrate and push a little and rotate turns at the front of the line. It requires trust, communication, and co-operation. After riding 1,555 miles with the same six people, we are learning how to work together like a well oiled machine. Now, if we could only get out of the parking lot sooner, that would be an accomplishment!

There were two 6% climbs today. The first was 4 miles long and the second was 1 mile long. I did a pretty good job on both climbs and Team Turtle was quick to compliment me on my improvement. I have a long way to go to match their skills as a climber and I know that with their help and encouragement, I will get there.

Speaking of climbing, there are 5,100 ft of climbing in tomorrow's ride. Plenty of opportunity to practice my new skills. After tomorrow, things should be easier for a day or two. Hmm....feels like I've said that before...

Thanks again for your prayers and support. Please continue to hold us in your love for safety, strength, courage, and tailwinds!

No comments:

Post a Comment