Saturday, July 28, 2012

Making My Way

Well, I am gradually making my way toward the end of this adventure. It's hard to believe that Karen and Lindsay will be here to pick me up one week from tomorrow. This has been an incredible adventure and yet it's still hard to believe that I have actually ridden my bike from Oregon to here. I am so grateful for everything I have learned and I am also looking forward to spending some time in 'normal life' again.

Today's ride took us 69 miles from London, Ontario to Branton, Ontario (the hometown of hockey great Wayne Gretzky). It rained overnight and skies were still gray this morning as we left but the weather continued to improve as the day progressed and we all stayed dry.

The terrain today was relatively flat which should have made it a cake day except that we had significant headwinds once again. Lot's of corn and soybean fields again today but we also saw quite a few tobacco fields and gingseng and berry fields as well. I had no idea that they grew so much tobacco this far north.

I rode pretty much the whole day by myself. Ainslee and Joan rode with me for about 10 miles early in the day and it was fun chatting it up with them. The Turtles leap frogged me most of the day until about mile 50 when I stopped for a sandwich and they passed me for good. I tried hanging on with them for a few miles around the 40 mile mark but they're just too strong and it makes me anxious trying to keep up. I think it looks like I am going to be riding these last eight days by myself. That's ok, we will all get to the ocean at the same time anyway.

I miss the comaraderie (sp?) of the team and the funny things we would tease each other about but this development has also given me a chance to get to know some of the other riders better (like Ainslee and Joan today) so it's not without its blessings. It all works out exactly as it should.

Tomorrow we head for Niagra and our final rest day of the trip on Monday. I'm looking forward to a day off because for whatever reason, my quads have been really sore the past fews days. Hopefully, my legs can rejuvenate a bit before the final push to New Hampshire.

Keep those prayers coming and don't forget to ask for a tail wind!

PS - It's always a little harrowing coming into town by yourself. Traffic is usually quite busy and you have to closely read directions, watch for traffic and spot road hazards simultaneously by yourself. This afternoon was even more challwnging because it's a big town and the direction were a bit vague and confusing. I was in the middle of town and just starting to get a little confused and anxious when Jim (the ride mechanic) appeared out of no where on his bike from my right. He quickly caught up with me and offered to lead me to the hotel. I am constantly amazed at how God delivers the assistance I need exactly at the moment I need it. Thanks God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment