Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Glorious Day Off

Today was a rest day in Sioux Falls, SD. Yesterday's ride to Sioux Falls from Mitchell was 74 miles with ascending rollers and a significant headwind. It was also quite hot (about 100) which made it feel like riding head long into a convection oven. We were all pretty glad to arrive at the hotel and start our rest day.

Crist, Diane and I started by catching a taxi and going to St. Michael's for Mass. This was the first time I have been able to attend Mass since leaving Tiffin and it felt wonderful!!! I have seen so much and grown so much since the last time I was at church that it felt a bit like the first time I came home for the weekend from college, everything is the same but I am different inside of the familiar setting.

I slept like a rock last night. I was so tired I even dreamed about sleeping. That's the first time I've ever done that!

I bought a mug last night while we were out to dinner so that I could treat myself this morning to coffee from a real mug, not a paper cup, a real mug. It's funny the mundane little pleasures you take for granted until you don't have them.

I had a liesurely breakfast this morning and squirrelled away some food from the hotel breakfast area so that I don't have to deal with the bicycle crowd at breakfast tomorrow. When our group descends upon a hotel continental breakfast, it's like a swarm of locusts and you often end up eating what's left and not what you want.

I chatted with Karen Z on the phone while I enjoyed my coffee in my mug and we made some preliminary plans for her and Lindsay to come pick me up. There is a lot of riding to do between now and then and the key is to stay focused and in the moment. I plan to concentrate on being kind and improving my cycling skills and fitness each day.

Jeff B and I went to see a movie (Moonrise Kingdom) and that was fun even though the movie itself was pretty quirky. At least it didn't have anything to do with bicycles. I had my usual large popcorn at the movie but it didn't taste the same. I think my tastes as well as my body are changing with all this physical activity. Tonight at dinner, I just had water with my meal and didn't order a soda. Who is this person I used to know as me?

This evening, I treated myself to a hot bath and a good book and now I'm ready to call it a night. It was a really relaxing rest day, the highlight of which was talking with Dennis this afternoon before I left for dinner. Just to hear his voice soothes me and I am reminded of why I love him so much. I told him I can't wait to get home to him and he coached me to savor every moment of this adventure, home will come soon enough.

He's right of course, so that's exactly what I am going to do. Tomorrow is going to be a great good fun day on the bike. We will pass another milestone on our journey tomorrow as we leave South Dakota and enter Minnesota.

See you there!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Dennis had some good advice. Hang in there and enjoy it as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete