Saturday, July 7, 2012

My "Day Off" in Casper, WY

Yesterday was our second day off of the trip. Although almost everyone sleeps in until 6 or 7, the rest of the day is usually spent doing laundry and other bike chores like thoroughly cleaning your drive train.

I have had a grinding noise for the past week or so when I push down on the right pedal. It doesn't bother me too badly but it was about to drive Team Turtle crazy listening to it ( especially Sam who often rides just behind me). I have gone to mechanics (there is a designated time each evening for repairs called "mechanics") twice for it but it was still there. Sam and I took a bike ride to the bike shop in Casper. We told them about the noise and the guy there dropped his other work to fix my bike because he knew our unique situation. He tore a part the bottom bracket of the bike (where the pedals and crank attach to the frame) cleaned it, greased it and re-faced the surfaces. The spindle was covered in cement-like grime from the rain in Oregon.

It was unbelievable the difference today pedalling the bike. Everything felt smoother and more efficient. I also got a different bag for under the seat and have taken the rack and big bag off the back of the bike which also significntly reduces the weight and drag.

Yesterday at breakfast, Sam, Diane and Crist gave me a tutorial about cycling technique and posture. I worked on implimenting what they taught me today and those skills combined with the changes to the bike really helped things come together for a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment