Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Challenging Good Day

Our ride today was 84 miles from Pierre, SD to Chamberland, SD. They were calling for a significant wind and there were two big climbs in the last 10 miles of the ride.

Jeff and I started out the ride together with Rich and Randy hanging around. We were soon caught by Kathy the guide who was riding sweep today. This is always a bit demoralizing because it means you are riding dead last.

About two thirds of the way through the ride, we caught up with the rest of the Turtles at a gas station potty break. Jeff and I decided to jump back on the Turtle pace line because at that point, there was a bit of a headwind. We did well the first few miles and then there was a downhill and the team never slowed back down so I couldn't keep up and dropped off the line again.

I don't know how I was able to keep up with Team Turtle for 1500 miles and now suddenly, it feels like they're running away from me. Tonight at supper we had a brief conversation about it. They think it is a combination of their improvement and my mindset. I'm not exactly sure what it is. I enjoy the fellowship of the group and yet when I ride by myself or with just one other person, I can see the scenery instead of just watching the tire of the person in front of me.

I am not angry or upset with anyone on the team, I am just struggling to keep up the pace. The most important thing is just to enjoy the ride and be safe and healthy. We'll see how it all plays out. My plan is to start out tomorrow with Team Turtle and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment