Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Challenging Day

Yesterday was technically a rest day but we had to take the ferry from WI to Ludington, MI. The day was filled with hurry up and wait scenarios which were pretty stressful. Combine that with the ferry leaving al oat two hours late due to difficulty loading a wind turbine and the high heat and humidity and you have the makings for a boat load of unhappy bikers!

We didn't get to the hotel in Ludington u til around 9:00 pm and we hadn't eaten and were incredibly hot and sticky from the boat. It after 11:00 before I wound down enough to sleep and we had to get up at 5:00 am to have breakfast and start our 113 mile ride to Mt. Pleasant.

I woke up more tired than when I went to bed and I was in a terrible mood. I started texting my brother (he lives in MI) to arrange a ride to skip the 113 miles on the bike today but it didn't work out. Like a good big brother, he asked if I was sick and when I told him "No, I'm just tired." he said we'll pray for you and see you in Birch Run tomorrow as planned.

That was exactly the correct way to handle me in that moment (he's had a few yeqrs practice'at this). If he had come to Ludington and rescued me, I have to wonder if I would have rejoined the ride or just gone home.

I rode by myself because it's hard for me to keep up with Team Turtle over that amount of distance and it wasn't fair to subject another human being to my whining. It took me the better part of 70 miles to improve my mood and attitude but here's what I figured out:

1. I can't help anyone if I quit. - I want to use this ride to become a better human being and hopefully other people will be able to learn a little about themselves as well. If I quit, all that potential is lost.

2. Doing something bigger than yourself will ALWAYS involve moments of extreme discomfort but if you calm down and really notice the situation, you will see that nothing is wrong and this moment is very doable.

3. When you are faced with a task that seems overwhelmingly big, chunk it down. Today I really disciplined myself not to think about the 113 miles but instead to just ride to the next direction cue on my route sheet. When there was a hill or the wind was against me, I broke it down even more and'just rode to the next house and then the next house after that.

4. The only time today on the ride that I really suffered was when I was trying to figure out how to get out of riding. Once I decided that I was going to finish the whole thing and all there was to do now was to enjoy the scenery and ride to the next cue, I actually enjoyed myself.

5. When you grow and finish something that you didn't think you could do (like a 113 mile bike ride on 5 hrs sleep and poor food)...CELEBRATE!!!

Tomorrow will be a fun day. We get to sleep in a bit and my family is coming to visit in Birch Run. See you there!!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are due for a rest. I hope seeing family improves your spirits! Enjoy your day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudo's to Toby for knowing what she needed :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly an inspiration Janel!
    I love you.
    Sis

    ReplyDelete