Monday, July 2, 2012

The Teton Pass is Past-Thank God!

Today's ride is the one I have been most concerned about for the past eight months and I have fretted over the past two weeks.
The ride was 90 miles and traversed two mountain passes, Pine Creek Pass at 7,000 ft and Teton Pass at 8,500. It was a 6-8% grade going up Pine Creek and then a 10-12% grade going up Teton Pass and the descent from Teton Pass is slightly steeper with switchback turns. As I have shared before, I am not a big fan of heights or descents so this ride was scary.
I made it up the 7,000 ft to Pine Creek Pass but just barely. I had to stop several times because I was so out of breath and my heart was pounding. Just before the summit, I felt a little dizzy and had to get off the bike and sit down by the side of the road.
There was a SAG stop at the summit and it was pretty clear to me that I lacked the physical condition and experience to tackle the even steeper ascent/descent of Teton Pass so I decided that I had experienced enough personal growth for the day and I took the SAG ride to the hotel.
I have to get to bed now and will write more on this over the next few days as time permits. Again, I thank you for your prayers and ask that you keep them coming. I am safe and looking forward to tomorrow's ride. Keep praying!

1 comment:

  1. THere is something to be said for good judgement. I am glad you are alright. He photos are great, what beautiful landscapes! I am not sure how much news you get to see, but in Columbus we were out of electric for a few days due to high winds of a thunderstorm. The electric at my and Tim's house came back on, but many households are still going without until elctric crews can repair all the lines. I am glad team turtle is sticking together. Keep pedaling! I am just getting caught back up with your posts fromt he power outage. Have a fabulous fourth of July!!!!!-Love Laura

    ReplyDelete