Thursday, June 28, 2012

Holy Cows!

Today we did 97 miles from Mountain Home, ID to Twin Falls, ID. We got up early to get started before the heat of the day, but Team Turtle had some unexpected delays and we were the last ones out of the pqrking lot this morning.
Just before we departed, I let Bud (one of the guides) talk me out of wearing my jacket. I froze for the first 15-20 miles before the sun started to take hold. I have got to stop letting people talk me out of what I have chosen to meet my needs. I think that one of the lessons of this trip will be learning to make a decision and then trust my own judgment.
The day involved more climbing than I expected so that added a bit of a challenge as well. We passed several massive dairy farms and feed lots in the afternoon with literally thousands of cows on each side of the road. My city slicker teammates could not pedal fast enough to get out of the aroma cloud!
Coming into Twin Falls, we rode over a bridge that spans the Snake River gorge where Evil Kinevil made his ill-fated attempt to rocket across the canyon. We rode across on the sidewalk on the outside edge of the bridge which has just narrow vertical rails before the drop (so as not to impede your view of the abyss). I am not fond of heights so this was another leap outside my comfort zone. I never realized before this trip that you could be that scared to do something and still actually do it. Yet another life lesson!
The main topic of conversation in the group right now is our butts. Everyone is sharing cream and lotion recommendations as well as cleaning and lubing techniques. Heat rash and chafing seem to be the major issues. I seem to be one of the ones who is suffering the least in this depwrtment. Maybe my extra natural padding is paying off!!!
There is also a lot of talk about crossing the Tetons Monday and Tuesday. I try not to listen to any of that because each day is enough to negotiate without looking ahead to the days to come.
We have a light day tomorrow, just 38 miles. It has been suggested we take a side trip down to see the falls. This means a two mile 12-15% descent and then climbing back up those two miles afterward. Bud says "You have to go see it, it's well worth the climb." Hmmm, I'm not sure that ANYTHING is worth an extra two mile 15% climb!
Thanks again for all your love, prayers and support! I also want to give a shout out to Team Turtle for sticking together in the heat and the hills today and working together to bring the whole team through!

No comments:

Post a Comment