Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Good People of Boise

Yesterday we crossed our first state line and rode into Idaho.  The border sign was on a busy highway so it wasn't great for pictures but it still felt great to be one state closer to my goal.
We had our best breakfast yet at the hotel in Ontario, OR yesterday before we set out. We crossed the state line about ten minutes into our 64 mile ride. After about 15 miles, Team Turtle pulled off the side of the road to have our morning "snicky snack" as is our custom. We had pulled off into the parking lot of a cafe out in the middle of the country. A woman came running out of the house across the street yelling "I was wondering if I would see you guys!" Turns out, she was one of the women who served us breakfast at the hotel. We thanked her for the great meal and took some photos with her (on Diane's camera) and then she toldnus that she had phoned her neighbors up and down the road and told them to be extra careful because we were going to be riding bikes through the area. How kind is that?
We then rode many miles through the beautiful farmland of Idaho and also saw many horses and one field of bison. All the fields have huge irrigation devices and every so often we get squirted by one which is a welcomed break from the heat.
At about 55 miles, we came to a crossroads intersection and there were two young girls there selling lemonade. They had a golfcart that they had driven from their house down the road to set up their business. They were completely ecstatic by the unexpected thirsty bicycle traffic! They had their dog with them (a chocolate lab) named WooHoo. We are already a bit slap happy from the  miles on the bikes and that dog's name struck us as really funny! We held it in until we left the lemonade stand but we giggled about that dog's name the rest of the way to Boise.
Today was our first day off and I spent most of the day reconfiguring my luggage and refitting my bike. I went with the Turtles over to George's Bike Shop and got shims put in my brake levers so that I can reach them from the drops. I also got a smaller bag which is lighter than my old bag but still big enough to carry my essentials. I got solar sleeves to help keep off the sun as well as a new wind/rain slicker that fits me better, folds smaller into the bag and is more versatile than my current jacket. I feel really good about my purchases. They say there is a Wal-Mart close to tomorrow's destination so I hope to pick up a cheap duffle bag to off-load my unused clothes and gear.
We begin the second leg of our journey tomorrow which includes passing over the Tetons.  Once we get pass those mountains I will breathe a HUGE sigh of relief.
Your love and prayers mean everything...keep 'em coming!

Ride on!

1 comment:

  1. Janel, I am still following all your posts and thinking about you each day. So glad you have team turtle. Woot woot about crossing the state line! I am ure the grand tetons will be beautiful. I hope to inclines aren't too bad! Keep on pedaling!

    ReplyDelete