Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Day of Firsts

Today's ride was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life to date. Team Turtle decided to each go at their own pace during breakfast because we all climb differently. I was among the first group out and was quickly passed by nearly everyone. Then I had a flat (the first ever of my cycling career). One of the guides, Bud, rode up and fixed it for me. I didn't have any air with me and turns out the valve stem on my spare is the wrong size for my tire. Bud used his spare to help me out. Thank God for Bud!
While fixing my tire, the rest of the group passed me. The next few miles were climbing with a steep drop off to our right and ripping headwinds coming off the mountain. I really wanted to quit and get sagged in. Then I remembered our rooms wouldn't be ready until 4:30 and I thought, "What else have I got to do until then?"
Bud stayed with me or near by the rest of the way. He taught me some descending techniques as well as some climbing tips. He also threw in a little life coaching along the way.
I kept pecking away and caught back up with Crist, Diane and our newest Turtle Rich around 2:30. I rode with Diane the rest of the way in.
Spectaculare views today of Mt. Hood and the high desert.
I have not felt this drained since the marathon.

2 comments: