Sunday, April 1, 2012

Planning for Joy

I am in the habit of making a weekly plan. My friends like to tease me about the plan but it is such a stress reducer, I will never give it up. Here's how it works:

I start on Sunday by taking a few quiet moments to think about what I really want to accomplish over the course of the week. Then I write those things down on a page in a cheap spiral notebook. Some things are very specific like "ride 150 miles" and some things are more general like "choose to be Love". If I am working on a project that will take several months to complete, then I will put one or two steps on the list that will move me toward completion.

Then I turn to the next pages in the notebook and write the day of the week at the top as a heading. Now I just fill in the pages with what needs to be done each day to achieve my intentions for the week as well as the regular stuff that just needs done that day.

On Monday, I leave the notebook on my kitchen table open to the page for Monday. I glance at it throughout the day to make sure that I am engaged in what moves me forward and not side tracked by activities that just keep me busy.

This is NOT a "to do list". It is a guide to help you move through the week in a meaningful way. It reduces stress because you aren't just re-acting to what comes at you, you are actively steering toward what you want in life.

Last week's plan called for a total of 120 miles and I needed 13 miles yesterday to make that happen. It was gray, misty, chilly, and breezy so the only thing to do was to get right on it! The new position on the bike (from the new steering stem) and the new seat felt great and I ended up doing 15 miles. It's fun to exceed my own expectations!

This week's plan is for 150 miles so it's time to eat breakfast and get out on the road!

Send me a comment if you have any questions on the planning process or would like more information :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment