Wednesday, April 4, 2012

This Is Just How I Like It!

Yesterday, Linda C wanted to try out her new bike so she suggested we ride together. The plan was for me to ride from my house to hers (13 miles with four significant hills) and then for the two of us to ride from her house to the ice cream stand in Bloomville (18 miles round trip) and then for me to return home.

When I left for Linda's house, it was cool and gray with a light headwind. I had an easier time on the hills than I did Sunday so I am encouraged that my legs are getting a wee bit stronger. Linda and I had a nice ride over to Bloomville on a tiny road that follows Honey Creek.

We sat down at the tables at the ice cream stand for a quick break and almost immediately, we heard the rumble of thunder in the distance. We looked up and the sky was very dark and foreboding so I stuffed my peanut butter sandwich in my face (I looked like a safety yellow colored chipmunk!) and we hopped on the bikes and started booking back to Linda's.

As we left Bloomville, there were some road construction guys and they shook their heads and laughed at us as we rode by. "You're gonna get wet!" one of them called out to me. Turns out...he was right. About two miles later it started to sprinkle and then it progressed to a heavy, cold, big drops of water spring rain storm.

Linda offered to drive me home from her place and I was sorely tempted. Then the thought crossed my mind that this would be a bad habit to start. When conditions deteriorate on my cross country trip, I can't just have someone bail me out and bring me home. When we came to Linda's driveway, I said goodbye and thanked her for being such a trooper and then I pressed for home.

I decided to take a different route home that is 4 miles shorter but puts me on a busy highway for 5 miles. Thankfully, there was a 15-20 mph tailwind as I made my turn left onto the highway. At least the rain was pelting me from the rear and not driving into my face.

There was a part of me that wanted to panic because of the weather conditions and the heavy traffic. I read somewhere that the best way not to panic in a flood is to concentrate on swimming so instead of being nervous about the traffic, I decided to count the cars that passed me. It was an extremely helpful technique and I am going to remember this for the future.

I was sublimely happy to make the left turn into our driveway. I can't remember the last time I was that cold. My feet were still burning last night when I went to bed!

It actually was a great training day and really served to help build confidence and grit. Total mileage on the day was 39. Thanks again Linda C for your company and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment