Friday, April 13, 2012

Sunny but Blue

Yesterday I rode 62 miles in a mix of roads and the Northcoast Trail. The weather was sunny  and relatively warm with a light breeze of 5-8 mph. This was my longest ride to date for this season and I was grateful that the weather and my schedule conspired to give me a great opportunity on the bike. And yet...

And yet I was a grumpy Gus for most of the day! I was lonely and it seemed like the miles were just creeping by. My litany of thoughts went something like this:

"I have so many miles to do today, I'll never get back to the car!"

"My butt hurts. My toes ache. My shoulders are tired."

"What makes me think I can ride across America when I can't even ride back to the blessed car!?!"

It took me the better part of 55 miles to remember that all these thoughts were lies. The truth of the situation was that I was on a bicycle on a beautiful sunny day in a country that is safe enough to do such a thing. My belly was full and I knew I had a warm, safe place to sleep that night and the whole reason I was on that bike was to train for a trip across America. Now really...what's to complain about?

Although not the most physically demanding ride, this was a great ride for learning to keep my heart in the game and not wander off inside my head.

Today's plan: 10-20 mile easy ride to contemplate my blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment