Monday, April 2, 2012

The Company We Keep

My friend Linda C texted me Saturday afternoon and offered to ride with me on Sunday. I shared with her that I would be riding 50 miles and the weather was calling for possible thunder storms. She said she was up to the challenge and so we left for the 50 mile ride from her house to Riverbend Park in Findlay about 10 am Sunday morning.

As you know, it's been a bit of a challenging week on the training rides due to the chilly temperatures, gray skies, and brisk wind. I certainly wasn't looking forward to slogging out another four hours in those conditions by myself on Sunday so Linda's offer to ride along was like a ray of sunshine!

And it turned out to be just that...rays of sunshine. We started out in the cold and gray and each hour the skies cleared, the temperature warmed and the breeze turned in our favor. Riding with Linda made the time whiz by and it was great good fun.

We talked about everything from cycling technique to the importance of matching underwear. It is amazing how energizing it is to throw your head back and laugh with your friends. If Linda had given me the gift of a thousand dollars, it would not have meant more to me than her willingness to come along and help break up the monotony of the long ride.

Today was a rest day on the training schedule and Linda had the day off from work, so what did we do? We went bicycle shopping! Linda has been looking for the right bike for her for over a year and I believe we found her match this afternoon. Once again I was in timeless enthusiasm in the bike store. Linda kept thanking me for coming with her and I kept thinking "Are you kidding? This is a gift to me!"

We plan to test out that new bike tomorrow as we take it on a spin to the ice cream shop in Bloomville (You have to love a sport that consistently has ice cream shops as a destination!)

No comments:

Post a Comment