Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter - Peddlin' Down the Bunny Trail

Happy Easter! Another great day today for training in the wind! More on that later.

Last week's goal was 150 miles and I ended up with a total of 153 for the week. I only had to ride 14 miles yesterday to make the weekly goal so I rode 17. Since it was a short distance, I rode at a faster cadence than normal and in a bigger gear. I adjusted the cadence and the gear so that I had a steady burn in my thighs. I wanted to use the ride to practice relaxing and hanging out while experiencing discomfort.

Today's mileage kicks off a new week. This week's total mileage goal is 170 and I got a good start on it today with 35 miles. We had church this morning for Easter and then a family dinner at 2:30 this afternoon so riding time was limted.

I decided to ride the trail in Fremont so I wouldn't have to worry about traffic in the very windy conditions. There was a 17-20 mph headwind with gusts of 30-40 mph so it was another great day to get those thighs burning!

The best way to enjoy cycling into a strong headwind is to just gear down, lower yourself into the drops and just pedal. If you start to think about somewhere else you would rather be...you will suffer! It's easiest to just be where you are and pedal. This is one of the reasons I love cycling, because it's such great practice for just staying in the moment.

The biggest challenge today turned out to be cramps in my left foot. I was wearing my GOBA shorts and they have medium padding so I am wondering if that has something to do with it. I also bought some bananas this afternoon in an effort to curb the cramping. We'll keep an eye on it and see how it does.

I plan to ride in my first bike event of the season on Saturday so that will be a happy break in the training routine. The people, new scenery, and challenge of riding hills will be an oasis of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment