Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quick Update Part II

Sometimes the connection in the hotel isn't great and my tablet jambs while I am writing. That's what just happened and it forced me to end the last post before I was actually finished.

So we started today with the five members of Team Turtle (Crist, Diane, me, Lynne, and Sam). About 20 miles into the ride,we had our first climb of the day and I just had a mental meltdown. I started to cry and I told them to just go on ahead and leave me and that I wanted to go home. They moved ahead a bit to give me space but didn't get out too far ahead. I had my little fit and then I pushed to rejoin the group and the rest of the day I did fine.

Crist's knee started to really bother him at about 35 miles and so he and Diane hung back together and Sam, Lynne, and me finished the ride together.

Everyone in the group seems to be getting quite tired and testy. We are all ready to get back to 'normal life'. I had a great conversation with Crazy Jeff this afternoon. He seems really pumped and excited about the next few days. I notice that when we are facing hard miles, Jeff is always rationalizing about how we can do it. "This is gonna be cake. We've done way harder than this before. We can do absolutely anything!" I, on the other hand, tend to get worked up about how hard I think it's going to be and then I get over-whelmed and practically have a panic attack just thinking about Vermont.

I plan on looking at the next few days as an opportunity to practice Jeff's approach to life. These next few days are like a final exam to test if I have met my goals of becoming a better cyclist and a better human being.

It's gonna be fun to see what I've learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment