Thursday, August 2, 2012

Get Your Climbing Face On! Grrrrr!!!!!

Today was another great day full of cycling lessons and personal growth. I woke up about 3:45 am and couldn't really get back to sleep because Inwas anxious about all the climbing we have to do these last few days. I had an upset stomach and dry heaves, I was that nervous.

After breakfast, we noticed there was a semi-truck parked in the hotel paking lot that was hauling 'Superior Lubricants'. We all started pressing our bottoms against the truck and taking photos and laughing. In the middle of the laughter I decided that it doesn't matter how high or steep the hills are, I am getting to that ocean!!!

I rode with Lynne and Sam today and we had a really great, fun ride. I did a good job on the hills today and even 'pulled'  our little line for a total of about 30 of today's 78 miles. Sam gave me some more coaching on how to properly execute the 'pull' position in a paceline and I really feel like I learned a lot.

There is a laundromat across the street from our hotel tonight so most of the group went over there to do laundry for what will hopefully be the last time. I had a great conversation with Mike Munk (the head guide & an amazing cyclist) about the climbing over these last four days.

"Your body has proven it can do it or you couldn't have gotten this far, now it's all just mental. You're about 20 pounds lighter than you were in Oregon and a whole lot stronger.   Now all you need to do is get out of your head and put your climbing face on! Let me see your climbing face - grrrrr!!!!!!"

He's absolutely right. I have been telling myself a story that doesn't serve me and it's time to tell a better story. I keep telling people (and myself) that I'm not athletic. I have riddine my bicycle from Astoria, OR to Little Falls, NY...if that doesn't qualify as athletic, what does!?! I tell other people (and myself) that I am not a good climber on the bike...I climbed the freaking continental divide at 9,680 ft, how much more climbing do you need to do!?!

Am I the most athletic perwon on this trip? No. Am I the best climber on this trip? No. The real reason that I tell myself these dis-empowering stories is to give myself an excuse for not being the best when what I really need to do is just celebrate who I am. When I tell these dis-empowering stories about myself, it's not humble, it's not even being realistic, it's really just an expression of ego.

Wow! It feels really fun and light and free to reqlize and release that!

So the next few days have some significant climbs in them and my plan is to enjoy them and marvel at all I have learned and how much stronger I have become. In other words, I plan to be grateful and have fun.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment